Why is there IHEDCA?

Many higher education institutions have created dual career/relocation services/programs in order to provide job search assistance to the spouse or partner of someone they wish to hire.  Some universities provide this service for only faculty spouses/partners; others provide the service for faculty and staff spouses/partners.

Providing these services exemplifies the universities’ commitment to work/life balance, stabilizes the household income when making a transition, improves the odds of the recruit accepting the offer, and increases the competitive edge in recruiting and retaining quality faculty and staff.

No two dual career programs are exactly alike, and there is a wide variance in the services provided, length of service time, population, and how the programs/services are administered, and which department houses the program.  By sharing ideas and resources, each program gains valuable insights into how to cost-effectively provide these services.